This article was written by past Local Food Program Director, Steve Russell.
Retail sales during the holiday season are projected to grow to 619.9 billion this year, with much of that money leaving the communities where it is spent to line the pocketbooks of large national and global corporations. Shoppers nationwide are encouraged make the 10% shift this holiday season, so that we can make a collective impact on our economic recovery--AND find unique, high quality, quirky gifts for our loved ones!
Read on for the goods:
Well, there's an idea!
- A season of CSA shares will keep chefs happy with new foods and the freshest produce off the farm, every week!
- ...and don't forget to throw in a cookbook from a local bookstore.
- Gift a six pack from a local brewery, a bottle of local wine, or a locally distilled craft spirit.
- Check out these deals on seed packs, and gardening books from Native Seeds/SEARCH and Terroir Seeds.
- Order some yummy treats from These LFA Members.
- Give your foodie friend the gift of gardening classes from Food Conspiracy Co-op, Southwest Gardener, Tucson Botanical Gardens, Ecogrow Hydro, Watters Garden Center, or at Desert Botanical Garden.
- Check out These LFA Members who sell gift baskets.
- Get the new Devour Phoenix e-Gift Card, good at over 25 of Phoenix's best local restaurants (A foodie dream come true)!
- Give the gift of Good Food!
- Sponsor a community garden plot for your foodie friend at Mesa Urban Garden or Roosevelt Growhouse.
- Or perhaps a gift subscription to one of the great local food publications in AZ, such as Edible Baja Arizona and Edible Phoenix?
- Of course, don't miss your chance to grab tickets to the 2015 Devoured Culinary Classic and the full week of Devour Phoenix events before they sell out!
- And make sure to check out the ongoing specials and deals from LFA members celebrating Buy Local Month!