Thanksgiving is all about history, family, and community. As we give thanks for the things that matter to us, we should also remember that local businesses offer a lot to our lives and communities:
- When you shop local, up to four times more money stays in the local economy to support local jobs, safety, schools, and vibrant communities.
- Local businesses actually make communities healthy, wealthy, and wise.
- Local businesses contribute greatly to a community's unique sense of place that both residents and visitors enjoy.
The best way to give thanks for local businesses is to visit them for your Thanksgiving needs! Here are 6 ways to go local and give thanks for Thanksgiving:
1. Get the best local ingredients for the big feast.
To get the best tasting Thanksgiving dinner, use the best local ingredients! Contact your local butcher shop or ranch for a delicious turkey or other main dish. It's prime farmers market season in central and southern Arizona, find one that's close to you! You can also visit your neighborhood grocery store for last minute items.
2. Find local help for all that cooking!
No one is going to blame you if you'd rather visit with family than be stuck in the kitchen! Whether you'll be eating in or going out, we have a great list of local restaurants and caterers who will provide decadent dishes or entire meals at a reasonable cost.
3. Put visitors up in local hotels.
The Hotel Congress in Tucson
4. Keep visiting relatives occupied with local entertainment.
Phoenix Zoo Lights is a big hit for both kids and adults
Need to get out of the house for a bit? There are tons of great things to do around the state to entertain your family.
5. Get out of town with a day trip or weekend getaway.
Whether it's just a few of you or the entire family, plan to get out of town for an Arizona adventure! Check out our Weekendzona videos for some trip ideas to Jerome, Prescott, Bisbee, and more.
6. Go Local for Black Friday and holiday shopping.
Skip the big boxes and hit main street for some truly unique holiday shopping! Buy Local Month kicks off on Friday, November 28. Check out the events and activities going on across the state. You can also use our local business directory to find over 2,500 local businesses across the state. Tag #IBuyLocalAZ on social media while you do your holiday shopping!