Local First Arizona Partners with Leadership West for "Shop, Give, Serve Local Month"
Ever thought that shopping locally is harder to do in some parts of the valley than others? One West-Valley initiative is trying to make it easier, proclaiming March "Shop, Give, Serve Local Month." During March, residents, businesses and charitable organizations in the West Valley are urged to promote their local communities through a “Shop, Give & Serve” campaign, and Local First Arizona is helping to further the cause.
Local First Arizona has partnered with the Chamber for Good and the Class XX of Leadership West, a leadership organization that prepares West Valley leaders to affect positive change in the West Valley and Arizona through intelligent, active engagement. The Shop, Give, Serve project is a unified campaign across the 13 communities in West Valley that promotes engaging in the local community by shopping, donating and volunteering – all ways that bolster connections and build relationships in the community.
The initiative is gaining ground, with seven LFA Localist events planned in the west valley to promote awareness of local businesses operating there. LFA will also hold their March Member Mixer in Surprise, one of the 13 west valley communities the initiative hopes to reach. March has even been proclaimed Shop, Give, Serve local month by Avondale Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers. West Valley municipal leaders and elected officials have voiced strong support for the campaign and many have announced proclamations similar to that signed by Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers. The project team also devised a website of its own (www.shopgiveserve.com) as well as a Facebook page (Shop, Give, Serve), both of which are seeing growing traffic. A combined westside calendar of events is used to shine a bright light on our West Valley businesses and nonprofit organizations as places to visit and give of our valuable resources and time.
Want to get involved?
- Register for LFA's Localist events, featuring Gaslight Inn, Old Towne Winebar, Arizona Coyotes, Corral West and more, through out the month of March here.
- RSVP for LFA's Member mixer on March19th here (must be Arizona-based business to attend)
- See our post on collaboration tips to engage your local community and to put an event together in your neighborhood
- Come by the following Community Farmers Markets in the West Valley to see us: - Wednesday March 12th at the Citadelle Plaza, 4-7 PM - Thursday, March13th at Sun City, 8AM-1PM - Saturday, March 22nd at Goodyear, 8 AM- Noon
- Check out the Shop, Give Serve calendar for more events going on throughout the month of March in the west valley communities
Why support Shop, Give, Serve Local Month:
•For every $100 spent at a local business, $73 stays in the local economy, compared to $43 at a non locally-owned business.
•Volunteering at local organizations reinforces your connection to the community, expands social integration and produces a sense of achievement and satisfaction.
•Charitable giving results in psychological benefits such as improved emotional well-being, moral satisfaction and increased feelings of connectedness – and at the same time can provide significant tax benefits.
Happy Shop, Give, Serve Local Month!