New Years – the magical time of year when we all pledge to erase our mistakes of the past and get our lives moving in the right direction. And while some of our resolutions may not make it to the month of February, we at Local First Arizona hope that you take our mission to heart and pledge to support the locally owned businesses in your community for all 365 days of 2012. Here are some tips to go local in the new year.
- Use the Local First Arizona directory! Hair salons, auto shops, real estate, entertainment, business services – you name it, you can find it on our website!
- Pledge to Shift 10%! Change your spending habits and shift 10% of your spending from a national chain to a locally owned business. Whether it’s a grocery store, bank, pharmacy or service based industry, a small shift on your part can make a big impact! Visit the Shift Arizona website to take the pledge in your city.
- Check out the many locally owned gyms, yoga studios and personal trainers on the LFA website.
- Enjoy the Arizona outdoors! Check out hiking trails and travel guides from Arizona Highways.
- Quitting bad habits can be done locally, with some help from the pros!
- Check out holistic and naturopathic ideas to feel great.
Dieting off those holiday pounds?
- Nutritionists and weight loss programs can help get your diet on track.
- Find restaurants that specialize in organic foods, vegetarian options and local farmers markets.
Organizing your life?
- View LFA members that can help you get your life together.
Fine tuning your finances?
- Get out of debt and plan for the future with a little help from financial advisers.
- Invest in your community by banking at a locally owned bank or credit union.
Learning new stuff?
- Learn a new language, check out a photography workshop, become ‘crafty’, dust off those paintbrushes, master a musical instrument – turn to locally owned business for instruction!
- Visit your local bookstore for guides on teaching yourself new hobbies.
Spending time with family and friends?
- Enjoy happy hours, meals and coffee breaks with your friends and family at unique spots.
- Concerts, museums, plays and performing arts are great options for a night out on the town.
- If traveling out of state, do a bit of research to find locally owned hotels, restaurants and services.
Greening your life?
- Sustainable ways to lessen your impact on Mother Earth.
- Trade in your gas guzzler for a more efficient auto, or go even greener on two wheels.
- Support local agriculture! Meat and veggies from local farms travel less distance to get to your table, which magically makes them taste better.
Connecting to your community?
- Give back to the community by volunteering at a local nonprofit.
- Staycation in Arizona! Whether it’s a long weekend in Tucson, a day trip into Phoenix or a summer vacation in the cool high country, vacationing in state keeps money in Arizona. Check out our Small Wonders maps for locally owned retail shops and restaurants and stay tuned for our staycation guides on rural communities throughout the state.