Examining the Impact of Local Business on the West Michigan Economy
A ten percent shift to local spending creates a massive economic impact!
- Download the Local Works study in PDF format as an executive summary, or download the complete study.
A cornerstone of the Local First movement is a study by Civic Economics for the Local First organization in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Entitled "Local Works! Examining the impact of local business on the West Michigan Economy," the study finds a stunning impact to the local economy if just 10 percent of the market share is moved from national chains to locally owned businesses.
In a population of about 770,000, this 10% shift in spending creates:
- $137 million in new economic activity.
- Over 1,600 new jobs.
- Over $50 million in new wages.
- Download the Local Works study: Executive summary, or the complete study.
- View the websites for Local First, Grand Rapids, Michigan and Civic Economics